Go to Gnani!
Questioner: Now, what should we do to reduce our egoism?
Dadashri: Go to someone, whose ego is completely gone. Or else, if you want to increase your egoism, by joining a group of villains, your egoism will grow immensely. A person is known by the company he keeps.
It is the egoism itself that binds karma, so if you remove the egoism, the binding of karma will come to a halt, and your worldly life will come to a halt. But how will your egoism stop, through someone who has egoism? Therefore, if you come to me, I will remove the egoism for you.
Ego reduced to nothing upon surrender to the Gnani
Questioner: In this Akram Path, does the egoism only leave if we surrender (samarpan) the egoism to the Gnani Purush?
Dadashri: That would be the secondary stage. But to whom does the one that becomes the first Gnani, surrender? For the Gnani Purush, it is through Gnan that the egoism disappears. Egoism disappears the moment the Gnan occurs. 'We' used to have a lot of egoism. Before 1958, there was a lot of egoism, but during the Gnan, the egoism was simultaneously all cleared out.
Now if you surrender everything right here, the egoism will leave. After this Gnan, even you will not have any depression or elevation. Even if someone berates you or throws you in jail, you will not suffer depression, and that is called vignan (spiritual science). This is a spiritual path.
Even if you went around naked (become monk, sadhu), for a hundred thousand years, illusory attachment (moha) for the worldly life (sansar) would never go away. The egoism is never likely to leave. It is not likely to be 'fractured' (destroyed), the 'my-ness' is not likely to ever leave and deceit (maya), will never leave you alone. Even if there is one mango, one hides it in the night thinking, 'I'll eat it in the morning.' Even if one is living in the jungle, there is illusion (maya)! Therefore, this here is a complete "Lift-marg" (elevator or rapid path) that has come about! It is because of your merit karma (punya) that 'we' have met; it is a straightforward path! And so, all 'we' say is, 'Get your work done right here'.
1) Egoism is harmful, the moment one realizes that then everything will become straightforward. The ego (ahankar) is not worth protecting.
2) The worldly life exists because of 'egoism'. Karmicbondage is because of 'egoism'. If egoism can be stopped in any of the ways, then one can be free (from this worldly life & attain ultimate liberation).
3) The Egoism of Gnani Purush (the enlightened one) is gone, and therefore He constantly experiences eternal bliss. He experiences that bliss even when someone swears at him. That is when you feel, 'Wow! What kind of bliss this is!'
4) You cannot write your own medicine without consulting a doctor first because there is fear that you may die, and yet where there is a danger of destruction of countless lives to come, you make your own spiritual medicines and take it without even consulting a Gnani. Scriptures are weapons; if you don't know how to use them, you will die for sure.
1) And when one gets on the train, what does he say? He may have boarded at Mumbai, so we ask him, 'Where are you going?' and he replies, 'I'm on my way to Navsari' as he is sits down. We say, 'Dear man, how is it that you are going; you are sitting here, aren't you?' But he insists 'I am going to Navasari, aren't I!' We say, 'Are you crazy? Are you going to Navasari or is the train going there? You are just sitting here!' This is because someone else is doing that, but he believes he is the one doing it. Everything is done by 'someone' else. Everything means each and every atom (anu)! A person will even say, 'I even passed [exams] at school!' And he goes around showing off; however, when he later fails, you would ask, 'You used to pass every term, and this term you failed?' 'The exam was difficult, this and that', he'll say, and continues to fumble his words. Wouldn't he fumble? Can you understand?
Questioner: Yes, I understand this.
Dadashri: So, this control is not yours at all. This is under the control of nature. All the power of the relative self which is there; it is in the hands of nature. And the Self-effort (purusharth) starts after the relative self and real Self are separated. The real purusharth (Self-effort) begins after one becomes the Purush; Self-realized.
In you, the relative self and the real Self are not separate yet, or are they? If they have not been separated, you come here. Everything in this world is 'it happens', it happens; no one is able to do it.
2) When the power cells within a battery discharges; does the cell have life in it? Although it is non-living (nirjiva), it still discharges from within. So, in the same way, 'we' (Gnani Purush) separate the three batteries of the mind, speech and body complex; 'we' make them lifeless (nirjiva). Thereafter, they will continue to discharge. Before, everything was living. The egoism (ahankar) was alive, even the mind was alive; therefore, the new was being charged and the old was discharging.
To acquire knowledge of Self attain Self Realization ceremony.
Book Name: Aptavani 10 (U) (Page #403 - Paragraph #2 to Page #404 Paragraph #1)